Photos of activites done by the San Miguel Resource Connection
you care about the town of San Miguel? Do you want vital services to be
available, more activities for youth and a vibrant downtown? If so you
share the vision of the San Miguel Resource Connection which needs and welcomes volunteers to join their board of directors or special project committees.
The Resource Connection has worked diligently to: ensure a
safe railroad crossing at 16th street; expand our community park;
provide art, music and sign language classes to our students; hold our
1st San Miguel Business Forum; provide artwork to beautify a historic
downtown; keep residents informed through this website; and is currently
working to bring a Community Support Center to town.
NOW is the time to get involved! SMRC will hold their
annual election in September and accept nominations at their August 19th
meeting. *Please click here for a detailed letter or contact Jean Hoffmann at 805-467-0194 to partner with the Resource Connection. Read the About Us page for the history of our grassroots organization and the Calendar page for monthly meetings.
New Owner for Coffee Station
Sam Brown peeks around new banner from on top of a ladder
A BBQ and new picnic tables can be seen alongside The Coffee Station which is undergoing some changes by its new owner, Sam Brown. Sam's father Al, runs the Outlaws restaurant in Atascadero and has been lending his expertise in San Miguel.
The Coffee Station is open Friday, Saturday and
Sunday evenings for outdoor dining or take out with BBQ fare including
pork ribs, chicken and steak until 7 pm. The lunch menu offers
cheeseburgers and chili dogs for only $3 bucks. The same great coffee
and baked goods are still available from 6 am to 2:30 pm.
Help is wanted for a breakfast cook. Please apply in person. Be sure to check out the new venue at 1199 Mission St. The station's phone number is 805-467-2100.
Camp Roberts Award to San Miguel Resource Connection
Resource Connection President Steve Kalar accepts award from Major Kato of Camp Roberts
Major Staci Kato of Camp Roberts presented a certificate of special recognition to the San Miguel Resource Connection
for their work at the Camp Roberts Open House. The award was signed by
Kevin Brown LTC Deputy Commander and John Smith Commander at Camp
Masters At Their Trade students perform at Camp Roberts. Photos by Laverne Buckman
The Resource Connection hosted a BBQ, raffle and children performed from the Masters At Their Trade program.
The Melodies choral group and Cantemanos
(singing hands) American Sign Language group performed patriotic songs
for the soldiers and those in attendance at the Camp Roberts Open House
in May of this year.
|A Department of the Interior National Parks Service grant called Save America's Treasures was obtained by San Luis Obispo County for the Rios-Caledonia Adobe
in San Miguel. Contractors are working on the building that houses the
museum and gift shop to make repairs and seismic strengthening. A
drainage system will also be installed to keep water from seeping into
the base of the Adobe.
this will provide a safer environment for the adobe, it will
temporarily inconvenience the public which visits the adobe daily. The
area of construction will encompass the large adobe structure and will
have to be cordoned off from access due to the liability factor.
Construction started July 24, 2008 and will last possibly through
mid-October of this year. The Adobe was originall constructed in 1835 by
Native American labor.
For information regarding this closure contact Joyce Herman, Administrator for the Friends of the Adobes at (805) 440-7173. - story submitted by Joyce Herman
NDGW Installs Officers
In the front row: Patsy Rambo, Past President; Judi Thacker, President; Dixie Thacker, Trustee; Doris Shaffer, Organist
Back Row: Jean Hoffmann,
Secretary, Babette Smith, 1st Vice President, Melissa Tyson, Trustee;
Lillie Merritt, Marshal; Kathy Shuder, 3rd Vice President; Jani Meyers,
Inside Sentinel; Barbara Rowland, Treasurer; Barbara Bruce, Financial
The Native Daughters of the Golden West San Miguel Parlor
installed new officers at their July meeting. The women's group is
dedicated to preserving California's history with emphasis on Missions,
lighthouses and local adobes. NDGW are founders of the Children's
Foundation with serves children with medical, dental, occupational or
educational therapy. To learn more about this fraternal organization
visit their website.
The San Miguel Parlor welcomes new members. Women native
born to California, or born to Californians while on military duty are
eligible. Meetings are held the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 7 pm at
the San Miguel Senior Center. Call President, Judi Thacker 805-467-0093
for an application.
First Art Piece Installed
The Kalar family is pictured working together to install the mural
generations of Kalars were represented during the installation of the
first piece of artwork to be installed in San Miguel as part of the San Miguel Masters in Artful Places program. Brothers David and Steve, their mother Fern, and David's son Kris Kalar spent several hours mounting and framing the artwork depicting their ancestors on June 16th.
Steve Kalar painted a mural of his great
grandparents, Johnson and Bertha Kalar, agricultural pioneers in San
Miguel from 1881 to 1951. A twenty mule team pulling a wheat harvester
spans the eight-foot tall by fourteen-and-one-half -foot wide canvas.
The Van Horn family donated the space to display the artwork on their barn on Mission Street.
The framed art piece and installation were donated by Steve to San Miguel Resource Connection
to commemorate the agricultural history of San Miguel as well as to
inspire other local artists to offer their artwork to beautify downtown
San Miguel. Vincent Printing gave a special discount for printing the artwork on the outdoor canvas.
Steve Kalar wrote and registered the guidelines for the
community arts program with the state of California for the San Miguel
Resource Connection. Steve spends time living and painting in both Italy
and in San Miguel as a renowned artist. Some of his artwork is on
display in the Museum of the House of Dante.